Engineering Solution and Technology of Decontamination are Developed
Technology for the decontamination of decommissioned NPPs is developed. It is patented, industrially tested and proved to be highly operational.
PROCESS AND TECHNOLOGY FOR DECONTAMINATION OF CONTAMINATED METAL TUBES
This is an engineering solution in the form of industrial process and special technology for decontamination of contaminated metal surfaces. In more details, it is a highly efficient technology and decontamination process for both inner and outer surfaces of metal pipes of a hard metal alloy of the heat exchanger removed from any nuclear power plant or other industrial entity on its dismantling. The method and the system of the said engineering solution are patented earlier this year.
The key features of the engineering solution:
- High industrial output and durability: at the current project 2000 t of hard-to-handle copper alloy (CuNi, CuFeNi) from the heat exchanger of the nuclear power plant should be fully decontaminated in 12 months;
- 100% decontamination of contaminated metal;
- 100% separation of contaminated parts to the special compact container to be deposited in waste repositories;
- Free release of the metal after 100% radiation control;
- Compact packaging for transportation or storage of the final output – flat strips of hard metal alloy;
- Environment-friendly approach: the process is carried out without any side contamination and excludes uncontrolled processes and contaminated metal shaving, dust etc.
- Proved to be highly operational and industrially tested. The team of skilled professionals is available to reallocate or produce the technology and arrange the process locally, adjusting it to the needs of any specific nuclear plant or contaminated industrial entity.
There are specific and unique features comparing with the similar technologies and processes offered right now in the world:
- The whole engineering solution ensures high daily output of 100% decontaminated material. Tubes from hard metal alloy are processed by flattening into 100% decontaminated metal stripes. The technology can be used for tubes of various diameter and length of steel, copper and other metals’ hard-to-handle alloys.
- Contamination checking is accomplished in every step of the decontamination process. The most complicated for complete checking Beta radiation is 100% checked by the detector placed in the closest possible proximity to the surface of the decontaminated material. This is possible because of processing metal tubes into completely flat metal strips, which allows them to be 100% checked for radioactive contamination and released for re-use in any industry.
- The technology ensures contaminated material to be cleaned without any uncontrolled waste in form of metal shavings or dust, which, for example, could affect workers usually involved in decontamination process of nuclear industries in different countries.
- The remaining contaminated parts are treated by filtering and can be stored for a required number of years in the special compact containers, which are an integral part of the proposed technology.
The whole engineering solution was developed assessing the latest requirements to eliminate the risks in nuclear industry solving the tasks of efficient, cost-effective and environmentally-friendly decommissioning faced by many countries and their nuclear and other industries.
Schema of Decontamination Process